Everything You Need to Know About Pookode Lake in Wayanad
Pookode Lake in Wayanad is one of the most crowded and frequently visited tourist spots in the Wayanad District of Kerala, one of the prominent states in Southern India. Located at a distance of about 13 kilometers from the capital of Wayanad, Kalpetta, the Pookode Lake is surrounded by wooden slopes and evergreen forests. Pookode Lake has a peaceful ambiance and is surrounded by the scenic beauty that is captivating and mesmerizing to any visitor to the lake and its premises.
Here in this article, we would like to provide you with the best information regarding Pookode Lake in Wayanad. Read further to know more.
Inside the premises of Pookode Lake
Pookode Lake in Wayanad has a couple of interesting facts to its credit. The Pookode Lake is shaped like the map of India and a species of cyprinid fish called the Pethia Pookodensis can be found only in the freshwaters of the Pookode Lake. Birds, insects, and many wild animals thrive in the forests surrounding the lake and the lake is considered a part of the South Wayanad Forest Division, operated by the District Tourism Promotion Council. The Pookode Lake also has an abundance of freshwater fishes and blue lotuses. The Mahseer Fish Hatchery and the freshwater aquarium near the lake premises are important tourist attractions.
Places to visit near Pookode Lake1. Lakkidi View Point - The Lakkidi View Point offers a captivating bird’s eye view of the city and the valley around. Amazing views of the hairpins leading to Wayand covered with mists can be seen from Lakkidi View Point. Lakkidi View Point is popularly known as the Gateway to Wayanad. Pookode Lake is just about 4 kilometers from Lakkidi View Point.
2. Chain Tree – The Ficus Tree, also known as the Chain Tree has a massive steel chain around it that ties it to the ground. With so many legends popularised about the chain tree, it is an interesting and popular tourist spot just a few hundred meters away from Lakkidi.
3. Banasura Sagar Dam – The Banasura Sagar Dam lies on the Banasura hills and is one of the major tourist destinations near Wayanad. Offering many opportunities for trekking, speed boating, and sightseeing, the Banasura Sagar Dam is a must-visit tourist destination. The Pookode Lake is only 28 kilometers away from Banasura Dam.
4. Kuruva Island – Part of the Kabini River, the Kuruva Island can be visited with the help of rafts and boats. The dense woods of Kuruva Island offers a great opportunity for nature walks. Kuruva island is home to a wide variety of flora and fauna and covers an area of 950 acres. Kuruva Island is located 30 kilometers away from Wayanad.
5. Thirunelli Temple – One of the most visited pilgrimage center in Kerala, the Thirunelli Temple is dedicated to Lord Maha Vishnu. The Thirunelli Temple is one of the most famous temples in India and is located at an altitude of about 900 meters, surrounded by evergreen forests and mountain slopes. The Thirunelli Temple is situated about 45 kilometers away from Wayanad.
6. Nearby Resorts – There are various resorts in and around Pookode Lake offering great packages and services that can help you soak in the beauty of Pookode Lake and Wayanad in the best way possible. There are various resorts in Wayanad that you can choose from no matter what your budget is.
Activities at Pookode Lake
It's not just the scenic beauty that Pookode Lake has to offer to its visitors but also opportunities for many recreational facilities. A handicrafts and sices Emporium, freshwater aquarium, the Childrens’ Park, etc, are among the many popular tourist attractions at the Pookode Lake. One another entertaining adventure that can be done at Pookode Lake is the horse ride along the shores of the lake. Wooden and bamboo handicrafts, street vendors selling toys, displays of local delicacies, etc, can be found outside the lake premises. The boating facilities can be availed at Pookode Lake and extra charges need to be paid for the same. Additionally, kayaking facilities are also available at the Pookode Lake in Wayanad. Pookode Lake offers so many opportunities for engaging and entertaining all age groups of people.
How to reach Pookode Lake?
Located by the side of the National Highway 212, the Pookode Lake connects the two districts of Kerala, namely Wayanad and Kozhikode. Lakkidi is the nearest town to Wayanad which is only 3 kilometers away and the district capital Kalpetta is just 13 kilometers away. Kozhikode is the nearest railway station to the Pookode Lake in Wayanad, which is about 60 kilometers from where one can get straight buses to Lakkidi.
Also read: Importance of Edakkal Caves, Wayanad